Monday, November 23, 2009

Newbie wanna-bee-beekeeper

I got interested in bees recently. Recently we put out some hummingbird feeders during 2009 summer season to watch hummingbirds. It had been great, it is so heart warming to see them hover in the air and drink the sweetness from the bottle. Along with that came a few honey bees and started to partake the nectar from the hanging food source. That got me thinking. A few years ago, a swarm had appeared in the front of my house, on an low branch of an oak tree and I was very excited. Never seen such a thing before and went closer to see what it is, didn't know what it was. Then searched the web to see what it is and figured that it was a bee swarm. I tried to call a few phone numbers I found but nothing materialized, I suddenly got an urge to keep the bees from the tree, but I had no clue about what to do. In the process of finding out, in the next couple of days, they all flew away and disappeared. That ends my quest for beekeeping, and never pursued beyond that.

Few years passed by, maybe 3 years, and I see bees again. So decided to ignite my desire on keeping bees. First I need to find out if I am allowed to keep bees in Austin.  Researched the Austin city information , somewhere I read that Austin City allows bees to be kept within the city limits! Yey! Read more, and found that if the land size is less than quarter acre, two hives are onl allowed. And the hive need to be 10 feet away from the boundaries. So Found a website, www.agriseek.com and found someone who sells beehives assembled, so posted there to buy a hive.

"Looking for two assembled hives, could you please email me the cost?
A gentle man named Daniel Korn of Korn's Holy hives replied:

Send $90 and I send you two assembled, Pierco frame and feeder trays installed, complete hives. Include your shipping address.

Send Money order, no checks, to:
Korn's Holy HIves
C/o Daniel Korn
800 Wisconsin Street,Unit # 18
Eau Claire, WI.54703

I didn't know what a Pierco frame was nor feeding trays where, again, Google to the rescue, found out more about them. I went to the bank and took a $90 money order and send it to him immediately and emailed him back about the mailing.

I started to be more interested in beekeeping, reading up and watching videos in youtube and combing through the catalog sites of Mann Lake Ltd, and others (I like Mann Lake, and ordered their color catalog).
I was waiting like a little boy for Christmas to arrive, but nothing came, I got very impatient and decided to get closer to bees.

I decided to attract bees closer. Read about sugar syrup, and made some sugar syrup - my wife wasn't very happy me 'robbing' her sugar, but I enticed her with the promise of free honey when I get set up and produced them. She didnt' have much problem after that. So I made the syrup and put ot a bottle of  upside down in the yard with a metal cap with holes made on them with a knife,  to see if I can attract bees, and lo and behold, here they come - a lot of them. I took my cheap Canon Powershot A400 and video taped them:
Here is the video.

 

No comments: