Monday, December 14, 2009

My early journey in beekeeping - continued.....

Finally after much wait, the hive came in one day.
Here is the picture of all the parts.

Hive Parts
After looking at all the parts and assembling them, here is how it looked.


Hive assembled.
Now I have the assembled hive, I don't have anything to put in. I tried to train my bees to come to my hive by putting in the sugar water syrup I made and put that inside and closed the top.
It was wonderful to see the bees coming in through the entrance and going out, it gave me a feeling that I have a live hive, even though they were foraging bees. Who knows, maybe one day they will bring their queen to live in my hive. I am really looking to see if I can avoid buying queens or nucs, so that I can save $75.
But now, I was tired of waiting for Daniel to 'drop ship' me the feeder and the frames, I went ahead and ordered the black frames from Pierco. The initial shipment was lost by the UPS, I was told it would arrive just after Thanksgiving, but it was lost, they send me another package, and it came in just today. All 52 frames, which I don't need. I am intending to sell more than what I need to others who could use them. I am going to set a price of $3 per frame which would cover me the cost and shipping of the frames. These frames are durable, plastic, black brood frames which are pre coated with beeswax so that, hopefully the bees would just come and start building their hexagonal hives.
Here are the pictures of the frames in the box and outside.


The UPS guy came in too late in the day, I can't wait to put that in. I wish I have also ordered the 2 gallon feeder tray from Mann Lake - (I find those folks the best place to get all the parts -it is the most inexpensive place to buy beekeeping related tools, and other materials, I fully endorse them for their prices and their perfection in mailing everything.).

Interestingly, the same day the Pierco foundations came in, I got a letter from Daniel Korn of Korn's holy hives, in US Mail. This is how it read:
"Hem,
Don't give up the ship! I 'm still running a couple of months behind and did not realize the shipping is going to be $46 per box. However, I have the second box packaged and ready to ship. Hopefully soon! As I may have told you, the frames and feeder trays, I 'll drop ship directly from the supplier as I don't make those components. Please! Hang in there with me. Any questions about beekeeping please write and I 'll try to anser them.
Sincerely,
(Signed)
Daniel Korn
Korn's Holy Hives
800 Wisconsin St. Unit #18
Eau Claire, Wisconsin 54703.

From Mann Lake, I have ordered the preliminary tools and other material to get myself ready.
I bought a hive tool for $3, the smoker for $34 or so, (the most expensive item ) the head gear, two honey super frames (I know, too early, but was itiching to get my hands on them), and also 20 wood frames for the super without the plastic foundation (I wish I have ordered that as well). I also bought two swarm traps and swarm lures, pretty expensive, bee brush, comb scratcher(I know, too early on that as well). Only thing I think is lacking now would probably be the uncapper I was planning to buy an electric one, but that would be for later.  All the items are waiting to be used. I think I am now ready to start working with the bees, I am fairly comfortable with handling bees, one day I got stung, so I know how painful it can be as well.
I fed the bee which stung me some honey before it goes on to it's next life, I felt sorry about the bee, even though I was paining from the sting.

No comments: