Saturday, November 21, 2009

Beekeeping in Austin, Texas for Fun & Profit

This blog is started due to the need of (and lack of) information available on the web about beekeeping in the Greater Austin Area. There do exist an exciting and vibrant group, named Williamson County Beekeepers Association and it is very active with over 75 members attending the monthly meeting. Here is the link to the group. http://www.wcaba.org/. This is a good thing. This public blog hopes to enhance the ability of interested citizens of greater Austin (Round Rock, Plugerville, Cedar Park, Leander, Georgetown, Bastrop, Hutto, Taylor, Buda, Kyle, West lake Hills, Rollingwood, Spicewood) to connect and share their experiences, pictures and insights on line to benefit and motivate others to start their own hives. Please feel free to post your experiences and wishes in this forum, you have equal right to have the postings as much as I do. Consider me as a facilitator to bring the online forum together and bring publicity to our noble hobby.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Beekeeping has been on my "bucket list" for as long as I can remember and I've finally decided to just do it. I have most of one hive constructed and plan to order two more. My two packets of bees are on order to pick up in Austin in the spring. I'm very, very excited. I garden and know that bees will help vegetable production, but the real reason for doing this is for the bees. They are incredibly important and it should be a concern to everyone that bees are in trouble. I live west of Georgetown on six acres, we use very few chemicals, have a lot of trees and wildlife, but we're not seeing many bees any more. The potential for getting honey will be a bonus, but not the reason for doing this. I'm joining this blog to learn as much as I can about local beekeeping and learning what others know, problems to look out for, etc. I've never blogged before, so this will be a new experience.

Hem Ramachandran said...

Susan,
This is a new blog,I have sent out invitation to the folks of WCBA members emails, and hoping some veterans might sign on and share with all of us some insights into what to look for in beekeeping in Austin. Thanks for your interest.