Monday, April 19, 2010

Bees Arrived

 
I have been waiting since Nov of 2009 to have queen bees in my yard. And that wish was fulfilled on April 17th, Saturday. I picked up the bees from Bost Honey Farm in Georgetown and brought it home to install. I recorded and attended the instruction about how to install from Mr. jimmy Oakley who is a veteran in beekeeping over 25 years.
I was alone at home in installing the bees, so I couldn't get pictures of the installation process, but here it is - after I covered the hives, it is now ready for the rest of the bees to join the queen.
Each package you see costs $90. They contain one queen and 3 lbs of worker bees. Around 7000 of them. They multiply after they build the hive to around 40,000 of them on one hive! The stacked hive box, the upper one is used to store honey by the bees and for us to tap into to take the honey! I can't wait for that day...
But the journey, I am sure will be exciting, next wonderful scene would be the view of the honey comb all built up.
I will record my experience in the upcoming journal pages.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: